Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2012 R2 (SCCM 2012 R2) is a configurable Windows product that allows system administrators to manage the deployment and security of devices and applications across an enterprise.
SCCM is part of the Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 systems management suite that include;
- Configuration Manager Service
- Operations Manager
- App Controller
- Virtual Machine Manager
- Data Protection Manager
SCCM configurable capabilities extend to large groups of computers running Windows NT, Windows Embedded, macOS (OS X), Linux or UNIX, as well as Windows Phone, Symbian, iOS and Android mobile operating system.
Configuration Manager Console
This is the primary interface you use to configure, run, and access Configuration Manager 2012 R2 features and tools.
Here is the list of operating systems that are supported to run the Configuration Manager console, each of the operating system must have minimum version of Microsoft .NET Framework installed on them.
1) Windows XP Professional (SP3), Windows Vista Business Edition (SP2), Enterprise Edition (SP2), Ultimate Edition (SP2) – (x86 and x64) with minimum .NET Framework 4.
2) Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate – (with no service pack, or with SP1) – (x86 and x64) with minimum .NET Framework 4.
3) Windows 8, 8.1 Pro and Enterprise – (x86 and x64) with minimum .NET Framework 4.5
4) Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition (SP2),Enterprise Edition (SP2),Datacenter Edition (SP2) – (x86 and x64) with minimum .NET Framework 4.
5) Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition, Datacenter Edition (with no service pack, or with SP1) – (x64) with minimum .NET Framework 4.
6) Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 (Standard Edition and Datacenter Edition) – (x64) with minimum .NET Framework 4.5.