Download and Use Free specialised SQL Server 2019
Microsoft offers free specialised SQL Server which comes into two flavours namely as Developer and Express. The free version branded “Express” has been used since the release of Microsoft SQL Server 2005.
Though during the release of SQL 2000 a product called Microsoft Database Engine (MSDE) was shipped together with and this is where the Express is fully traced.
SQL Server 2019 Express is a free edition of SQL Server, ideal for development and production for desktop, web, and small server applications.
SQL Server 2019 Developer is a full-featured free edition, licensed for use as a development and test database in a non-production environment.
Express branded SQL differs with the fully paid SQL in technical terms. Express deployment is meant for a smaller scale.
- The maximum size of the database is up to 4GB for Server 2008 and earlier while up to 10GB for 2014 and later. This is only for the database and does not include log files.
- No SQL Server Agent service
- A Single physical CPU is supported, but multiple cores allowable.
- Express uses 1GB of RAM per instance though it can be installed on a machine with much larger RAM.
From respective information, most databases in the Zambian business set up can fully utilize the free SQL Express and save costs associated with the fully paid SQL version.
Current pricing for Microsoft SQL Server Enterprise 2014 (2core) is $11,340 while the Microsoft SQL Server Standard 2014 is $729.
SQL Server Express Database limits are as follows:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express edition has a database size limit to 4GB
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express edition has a database size limit to 4GB
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express edition has a database size limit to 10GB
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express edition has a database size limit to 10GB
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express edition has a database size limit to 10GB
- Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Express edition has a database size limit to 10GB
You must log in to post a comment.