Azure AD is now part of Microsoft Entra. Microsoft Entra is a new product family that encompasses all of Microsoft’s identity and access capabilities. The Entra family includes Microsoft Azure Active Directory (Azure AD), as well as two new product categories: Cloud Infrastructure Entitlement Management (CIEM) and decentralized identity.
According to Microsoft Entra Admin Center, Entra secures “your entire identity infrastructure with identity management and beyond. Protect your business with decentralized identity, identity protection, governance, and more in a multi-cloud environment.”
In December 2022 Microsoft notification MC477013 announced the forthcoming changes in the Admin center. Entra has replaced the Azure AD admin center plus added more features such as the CIEM and decentralized identity.
Though still using existing interfaces Entra has pushed those as sub-menus and focused on
- Azure Active Directory – for securing and managing identities to connect them with apps, devices, and data
- Permissions Management – to discover, remediate, and monitor permission risks for any identity or resource.
- Verified ID – for creating, issuing, and verifying decentralized identity credentials for secure interactions.
- Workload Identities – Help you manage, secure and govern your workloads with Azure AD Workload Identities.
- Identity Governance – manage access rights with entitlement management, access reviews, and lifecycle workflows.
It is worth noting that Microsoft Entra comes as a Free version, Office 365 App, Premium 1, and Premium 2. The free version includes the Azure Directory and Office 365 Apps.
Designed to empower organizations with more demanding identity and access management needs, Azure Active Directory Premium edition adds feature-rich enterprise-level identity management capabilities and enables hybrid users to seamlessly access on-premises and cloud capabilities. This edition includes everything you need for information worker and identity administrators in hybrid environments across application access, self-service identity and access management (IAM), and security in the cloud.
Premium 1 is included with Microsoft 365 and is charged at $6 per user/monthly
Azure Active Directory Premium P2 includes every feature of all other Azure Active Directory editions enhanced with advanced identity protection and privileged identity management capabilities.
Premium 2 is also included with Microsoft 365 but is charged at $9 per user/monthly